Welcome to the Malala Lodge Experience
Malala Lodge...whether you are looking to experience Zulu culture, the Big 5 or the vast wetlands of St Lucia, we will provide you with the perfect base from which to explore the majestic beauty of the Elephant Coast in South Africa's Zulu Kingdom.
Our Lodge is located in the Hluhluwe area, in the centre of the
in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, ideally positioned between the world-renowned
Hluhluwe-Imfolosi Game Reserve,
Mkhuze Game Reserve,
Greater St Lucia Wetland Park.
A detailed map and directions are available
Malala is situated on a 340 acre private nature reserve and, as we only accommodate a maximum of eighteen guests, you will be assured of a tranquil African bush atmosphere and experience.
Malala is owned and managed by the Harvey family who, together with a very enthusiastic team of staff, are always on hand to provide the personal attention you deserve.
Malala Lodge has a variety of vegetation types, including lowland forest, woodland, grasslands and wetlands. You can enjoy a leisurely stroll through these diverse habitats on well-maintained and marked walking trails. The "Forest trail" begins behind each of the chalets but you are welcome to explore anywhere on our property. You may come across some of our game, which includes Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Nyala, Reedbuck and Red and Grey Duiker. Other smaller wildlife that may cross your path are Large-spotted Genet, various mongooses, Vervet Monkeys and large Monitor Lizards. You may even spot the rare Suni Antelope or the unusual Four-toed Elephant Shrew.
In addition, Malala Lodge is at the centre of the
hotspot of KwaZulu-Natal with over 500 species of bird having been recorded in the Elephant Coast area. The Malala Lodge birdlist currently has over 260 recorded species. A checklist of the birds on the property is available on request.
The main lodge
The main thatched lodge is centrally positioned within the camp and overlooks indigenous forest. Here guests can enjoy a relaxing drink in the cosy bush pub or take a dip in the palm-fringed swimming pool.
Meals are available, by prior arrangement, in the lodge dining room:
- Dinner is a home-styled three-course set menu with cheese and biscuits and tea/coffee; and
- Breakfast is a full English breakfast including cereals, fruit salad, yoghurt and tea/coffee.
Adjoining the dining room is a small reading lounge where a variety of magazines and books are available for your interest.
Malala Lodge can accommodate guests on a self-catering basis or, if you would prefer, indulge yourself in genuine home-cooked meals in the attractive thatched dining room.
Accommodation is provided in various units, nestled within the forest edge, and comprises:
- Four private, thatched, open plan chalets all with en-suite shower facilities. The chalets are 1-bedroom units which can accommodate 2 adults, or 2 adults and a child. All the chalets come with fully equipped kitchenettes, ceiling fans and barbeque facilities.
- A semi-detached chalet equipped with en-suite shower facilities, separate lounge, kitchenette and ceiling fans and barbeque facilities. The chalet accommodates two adults sharing.
- Two family cottages each comprising two bedrooms (en-suite), lounge and kitchenette and equipped with ceiling fans and barbeque facilities. These units can accommodate up to 4 adults sharing.
All of the accommodation units are supplied with tea/coffee facilities and all linen and towels are provided.
More photographs of Malala are available in the
Malala Lodge photo gallery.